South Staffordshire College

Student Information and Finance

Learner Services are here to support you throughout your time at South Staffordshire College from the point of your initial enquiry to help you progress onto your next step.

Each campus has an experienced and qualified team of professionals that work closely with Student Support Services at our validated award partner Staffordshire University, and adhere to IAG Quality Standards.

Together we can offer comprehensive and impartial information, advice and guidance service on:

  • Course enquiry and application
  • Careers
  • Finance
  • Personal issues
  • Travel
  • Accommodation
  • Exams Support Workshops


  • Course Tutoring 

    Full-time students are assigned a Course Tutor, whose role is to:

    • Review your progress
    • Set new targets
    • Support you with any problems
    • Advise you about your next steps into work or Higher Education

    Student Activities

    Team SSC will put on trips throughout the academic year, including Alton Towers, London Shopping trips, football stadium tours and paintballing! These will be advertised to students using their college email accounts.

    The campuses also have various cafés and coffee bars, offering low-cost, high-quality food for the occasions when you need to feed your body rather than your mind!

    Mentoring and Counselling

    If things are worrying you because of either personal, social or course difficulties then come and see us! Mentoring is a one to one service which offers support and advice to help you overcome any problems or concerns that you may have. More importantly it is someone who will listen to you. Don’t suffer in silence, contact your campus mentor! (Mentors can refer to outside counselling services if required)


    Mobile: 07972 311 348 or 07590229875

    Mobile: 07792 308814

    Mobile: 07592 229 877 and 07959 279 318

    Mobile: 07595 280757



    If childcare might be a barrier to taking a degree, you’ll be pleased to learn that we have an early years nursery at our Tamworth campus. You can check on opening times, prices and availability by phoning 0300 456 2424.


    South Staffordshire College does not have a Halls of Residence, so unfortunately there is no on-campus living accommodation available. However, please contact us if we can support you with accommodation advice.

    Academic support

    Above all, our tutors’ aim with every student is to help him or her succeed. With this in mind, South Staffordshire College has a strong ethos in providing alongside outstanding teaching, strong academic support.

    All students are given access to additional support. This can range from tuition sessions, one to one module assistance to help ensure all areas are fully understood, to support and training in revision techniques, presentation skills and coursework production to ensure the coursework is to the students’ highest standard.

    Sometimes students may require extra support with reading, writing, maths, mobility or even motivation… we will do our very best to help you any way we can. This is tailored support and is beneficial for all our learners from school leavers to those returning to education.

    If you enrol on a course that is validated by Staffordshire University, you will receive a student ID card which gives you access to the University’s facilities, including online resources such as e-journals, e-books and databases. You will also get your own email account, and access to MyPortal, your own personalised web page.

    You will also have access to Staffordshire University’s campuses at Stoke and Stafford including the Students’ Union and all the great social life on offer there. Student Guidance Officers are available to talk to you. Based at Stoke and Stafford they can be contacted by telephone and email. For further information go to

    For additional information and advice, please contact Learner Services – Email:

    Or the Course University Partner:
    Staffordshire University
    Student Advice Centre,
    Tel: 01782 294469 / 01785 353425

  • Fully confidential service

    A learning difference or physical disability need not prevent you from accessing your chosen course. We have friendly, qualified support staff that can assist you and offer guidance before and during your course. We also have student mentors who offer a fully confidential service to allow you to gain support with a range of issues you may experience during your time with us at college.

    With you every step of the way

    We have a friendly and qualified support team to help students with specific learning differences, disabilities and other learning needs.

    Additional support is in place to help you increase your confidence and develop strategies to help you learn more independently. These can include:

    • helping you settle in
    • discreet in-class support or 1:1 support for a specific learning difference or disability
    • additional assignment workshops to develop organisational skills
    • help with taking notes
    • specialist equipment and software loans
    • assistive technology and elearning
    • additional support for exams
    • support at lunch times and breaks
    • support with personal care needs
    • support with mobility

    Learners will complete an initial assessment in order to find out if extra help is required for Maths and English and functional skills lessons will be included as part of your course.

    If you want to discuss your learning needs before you start your time at college, we can arrange appointments with you to ensure we can offer you the right support. Please contact Kim Stoddard, Transition Coordinator on 01785 710505 or email for more information.

    Our equal opportunities policy details our commitment to providing the widest possible access to learning for all our learners. Wheelchair users have good access on most of our campuses. Disabled toilets and dedicated parking spaces are also available at each campus.

  • Money Matters

    Money does matter, especially when you decide to take up a course of study. The good news is, as a student, you may be eligible for financial support, there’s a range of grants and bursaries that you may be eligible for.

    • Guaranteed Bursary

      To access support from this bursary fund, learners must be aged from 16 up to 19 and studying on a full time further education course timetabled for more than 12 hours per week and lasting a minimum of 10 weeks. The learner must show evidence that they are in the following category:

      • Young people in Care
      • Care Leavers
      • Learner in receipt of Income Support
      • Learners in receipt of Employment Support Allowance who are also in receipt of a Disability Living Allowance

      Subject to your satisfactory attendance at College, the full bursary of £1,200 will be paid in 18 equal installments on a fortnightly basis.

    • 16-18 Bursary Fund

      An annual bursary of £1,200 will be paid to learners who can show evidence that they are:

      • In care/ care leavers/ in receipt of Income Support or Universal Credit in their own name/disabled young people in receipt of Employment Support Allowance who are also in receipt of Disability Living Allowance.
      • Evidence must be provided, either current benefit award letter or a letter from Social Services.

      Learners must be:

      • Aged 16 to 18 at the time of enrolment
      • Studying on a full time Further Education course
      • Timetabled for more than 12 hours per week
      • On a course lasting a minimum of 10 weeks

      • Payments are made fortnightly in arrears after attendance has been checked
      • Learners who join the College, or become eligible for the bursary fund part way through the academic year will be paid £1,200 pro rata


      If you do not qualify for the 16-18 Bursary Fund, you may be eligible for support through 16-18 Financial Support, to help you cover the cost of essential items for your course, e.g. kit, uniforms, books and transport to and from college.

      Free College Meals (FCM)

      Available to all students who satisfy the residency criteria and are in receipt of or have parents who are in receipt of:

      • Income Support
      • Income-Based Job Seekers Allowance
      • Income-related Employment and Support Allowance
      • Support under part VI of the Immigration and Asylum Act 1999
      • The guarantee element of the State Pension Credit
      • Child Tax Credit (provided they are not entitled to Working Tax Credit) and have an annual gross income of no more than £16,190

      If your household income is below £20,000 you may be eligible for up to:

      • 100% of costs for essential equipment
      • 100% of costs for travel to college by public transport or college bus if you live over 3 miles away from your base campus. A maximum of £575 per academic year


      • If you live in Staffordshire we expect you to use “Your Staffordshire Card” available from your local council
      • If you travel on a College bus, the college will pay the full cost of your travel

      If your household income is between £20,001 and £30,000, you may be eligible for up to:

      • 75% of costs for essential equipment
      • 75% of costs for travel to college by public transport or college bus if you live over 3 miles away from your base campus. A maximum of £420 per academic year


      • If you live in Staffordshire we would expect you to use “Your Staffordshire Card” available from your local council
      • If you travel on a College bus, the college will pay the 75% of your travel costs, the remaining 25% will be the responsibility of the applicant (learner)
    • 19+ Financial Support

      Learners are eligible to apply for this support for a maximum of 3 years

      If your household income is £30,000 or less, you may be eligible for up to:

      • 75% of essential equipment costs
      • 100% of exam costs
      • 75% of travel costs. A maximum of £600 per academic year (over 3 miles from campus)
      • 90% of childcare costs (up to max of £160 per week per child-term time only)


      Tuition, Stationery, Educational Trips or Visits are not covered by this Financial Support and 19+ part time courses are only entitled to 50% towards equipment costs.

    • 19+ Advanced Learning Loans

      19+ Advanced Learning Loans are student loans similar to higher education loans studying at Level 3 or Level 4, including QCF Certificates and Diplomas, Access to HE, A-Levels and Advanced and Higher Apprenticeships. You can apply for a loan to meet the upfront costs of your qualification, which will be paid directly to the college on your behalf.

      Who is eligible for a 19+ Advanced Learning Loan?

      If you’re 19 or older, you can apply for a loan to help with the costs of a college or training course.

      The course must be at level 3 or 4 (such as A levels or a higher or advanced apprenticeship).

      You won’t have to pay anything back until you’re earning over £21,000 a year.

      Find out more information about 19+ by contacting us.

      You can use a 19+ Advanced Learning Loan to get back into learning, for a change or to progress your career, view our access courses.

    • Higher Education Loans

      Students going to university or college in 2017/18 can apply for their student finance now.

      Higher Education applications for academic year 2017/18 have successfully launched for SFE and SFW full-time students!

      The SFE ‘deadline’ dates are May 26th for New Students and June 23rd for Returners

      The SFW ‘deadline’ dates are May 12th for New Students and June 9th for Returners

      Please note, this does not yet apply to SFNI and New EU (all domiciles) applications. Further information will be provided in due course.

      2017/18 applications for Returning EU (SFE and SFW) students are however now available.

      Click here for more information

      There are also some useful links on our Higher Education Courses page.

    • Care to Learn

      If you are under the age of 20. Care to Learn could pay up to £160.00 per child per week towards your Childcare and Travel costs while you are learning. You will qualify for ‘Care to Learn’ if you can answer “yes” to the following:

      • Are you under 20 years old?
      • Are you caring for your own child or children?
      • Are you a British Citizen or member of the EEA and live in England?
      • Is your childcare provision registered with OFSTED?

You can download the Financial Support and Bursary Fund application form here or you can ask your Campus hub for a printed copy.

This site uses cookies by default. Our cookies page explains this in detail and allows you to change your settings. To hide this message, click