Apprentice Gardener – Sandon Hall & Park Enterprises (22/02/2017)
Closing Date: Wed 22nd February 2017Salary: £136.00Category: ApprenticeVacancy
As an Apprentice Gardener, under the supervision of the Head Gardener, you will work in the general upkeep of the estates at Sandon Hall, including planting or installation, maintenance or removal of, grassed areas, flower beds, hedges, small trees, fences and paths.
The apprentice will be required to attend fortnightly classes at South Staffordshire College’s Rodbaston Campus to reinforce the theory of new skills learnt whilst working on the job. You will be working towards a Diploma in work based Horticulture Level 2 and your assessment will be carried out onsite.
As you will be working towards diploma you will need to be prepared to play your part in gaining this award, this may include project work or reading in your own time.
Main Duties -
- This includes lawns, edgings and rough park grass. This may involve levelling uneven ground, hogging, re-turfing, re‐seeding, fertiliser, spiking, raking, cutting using the appropriate equipment etc.
Flower Beds (including greenhouses)
- Preparing beds, propagating, planting out, tending and caring for flowering plants and shrubs, digging, pruning, weeding, fertilising and watering etc.
Hedges and Trees
- Maintaining hedges, planting and pruning small trees, keeping surroundings clear from weeds, removing tree stumps etc.
- To maintain and repair fences and stiles including putting in marker posts.
Paths and Roadways
- To maintain paths and to keep paths and roadways clear of weeds, encroaching vegetation and fallen leaves and branches, keeping driveways clear of snow etc, keeping all estate areas free of litter.
- To be alert for and report signs of, pests or bacterial attack on all vegetation including water borne vegetation and to apply first line treatment as directed e.g. spraying with chemicals, unless specialised attention is required e.g. disease in large trees.
- To be alert for and report actual or potential hazards such as faulty stiles, dangerous trees etc, intrusion of livestock and infestation of vermin.
- To use tools and machinery. To carry out any necessary maintenance and adjustments as necessary and report and damage or defects to the head gardener.
Health and Safety
- You will be required to work and act in a safe and sensible manor taking responsibility for your own safety and of those around you at all times.
Uniform and Personal Protective Equipment (PPE)
- You will be issues with a uniform which you will need to ware while working you will also need to keep it in good order.
- You will be issued with all necessary PPE for your required tasks and you will be responsible for its care and maintenance.
Title: Apprentice Gardener
Employer: Sandon Hall & Park Enterprises
Employer Description: Sandon Hall is one of the best loved wedding venues and conference venues in Staffordshire and Birmingham. It is the ancestral home of the Earls of Harrowby and sits astride high ground overlooking the Trent valley amidst 400 acres of rolling parkland. Completed in 1854, the imposing Hall, with its 50-acre formal gardens, is a grand, yet tranquil, setting. It is the ideal location for an array of functions, from weddings and parties to conferences and outdoor events. With all events hired on an exclusive basis and with high-quality service at all times, any event at Sandon Hall will live long in the memory. With over 400 acres of parkland there is certainly no shortage of space to enjoy at Sandon Hall.
The Park is a perfect location for a variety of outdoor activities and events which have included car shows, concerts, gardening fairs and outdoor theatre productions. Rolls Royce, Land Rover and BMW have all held product launches here, while Orange has hosted a charity fundraising fun day in the Park. Sandon also hosts several popular Open Days during the year. As the Hall is not open on a daily basis, it provides an excellent opportunity for the public to browse the Hall and gardens and to learn about the Harrowby family.
Vacancy Location: Sandon Hall, Sandon, Stafford, ST18 0BZ.
Working Week: Monday to Friday 8.00am – 4.30pm (40 hours per week)
- Level 2 Diploma in Horticulture
- Functional Skills in Maths and English up to level 2
- Employment Rights and Responsibilities
- Personal Learning and Thinking Skills
- You will also have the opportunity to complete and NPTC certificate.
Vacancy Type: Intermediate Level Apprenticeship
Duration: 18 Months
- Must be a team worker with good people skills.
- Looking for someone who is reliable, trustworthy and enthusiastic about the role.
Qualifications: Ideal candidate will have GCSE grade A-D in Maths and English or equivalent.
- Communication – able to get one’s message understood clearly by adopting a range of styles, tools and techniques appropriate to the customer and the nature of the information.
- Managing relationships and team working – able to build and maintain effective working relationships with a range of people. Works cooperatively with others to be part of a team, as well as ability to work on own initiative.
- Resilience – manages personal effectiveness by managing emotions in the face of pressure, setbacks or when dealing with provocative situations. Demonstrates an approach to work that is characterised by commitment, motivation and energy.
- Flexibility – adapts and works effectively with a variety of situations, individuals or groups. Able to understand and appreciate different and opposing perspectives on an issue, to adapt an approach as the requirements of a situation change, and to change or easily accept changes in one’s own organisation or job requirements.
Future Prospects: Candidate will be given the opportunity to earn a full time contract upon completion of the Apprenticeship.